"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, May 30, 2014

Six Down...

Six out of the nine large motifs are now made. Only three left, plus the edging.


Of course, with a pattern like this, there's not really a whole lot new to say with each new motif added. I really like the negative spaces that are emerging between motifs, though. I think these secondary patterns are going to be even more interesting in this 3x3 doily than in the 2x2 version shown in the book.

Once I start the third row of motifs, it won't fit on the scanner bed anymore, so from now on it will be photos. Hopefully I'll get some good light when I need it.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is looking great.
    This is the first motif that I tatted from Jan Stawasz's book. I did not get further than one single motif. I planned to add more but the thread that I used for that single motif is running out. I will have to start over with another thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you get squares, and diamonds, and triangles, and rounds and stars… It's looking wonderful! I just realised I'm tatting the same as you. Not decided on what my final shape will be though… perhaps a rectangle? But it will look great as a square, I always love squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing the version with the more interesting decorative picots, though. I would have done that one if I were making a table-top doily; but since this is going on a pillow that will have my back rubbing on it all the time, I figured the short simple picots of this version would work better.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Squijum,
    I can just see your Human’s face if you hid one or two of those pieces. What a lark!
    Your Pal,
    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good so far, I also like the way the pattern is shaping up.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete