"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Tatting for Klara... Almost Ready!

I got the two pieces I tatted for my great-aunt Klara mounted and ready to frame last night.


Linda Davies' Star Attraction Doily, mounted on a cream background. I honestly would have preferred it on a darker background, but this will match the sofa; my mom agreed with me that this is the better choice for the room.


Mary Konior's Large Cross. I ended up choosing a soft blue-green background for it. I had planned on a light blue; but when I saw it, the blue, burgundy, and ecru together gave it a sort of country-Americana look that wasn't really what I was going for. I bought two different colors because I couldn't make up my mind in the store, although I was leaning toward this one. My artist neighbor and her boyfriend both confirmed that this one looked better than the other with the colors of the tatting, so I feel confident with my choice.

I put them both on those adhesive boards designed for mounting needlework for framing. The boards are acid-free and designed not to do any damage to the work itself.

The cross is on a 5x7 inch board; since this is a standard size, I think I will save some money by framing it myself. I'm not sure it needs a mat, either, but I'll see if I can find one that works, just in case.

The doily is on a board that started out as 9x12 inches, which I cut down to a 9 inch square. This one definitely needs a mat, and since it's a non-standard size, I will have to get it professionally done. That will happen later this week, and then I'll finally be ready to send them off.

In the meantime, I've started tatting the motif for my next insect repellent sachet.

5 comments:

  1. Great work! They are sure to be highly appreciated by your aunt.

    So pleased to see you back with the shuttle firmly attached to your talented fingers.
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very nice and beautiful she will love her gifts from you how nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are so very pretty! I'm sure your aunt will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are lovely and I like the idea of the boards, not seen those at least the tatting won't move.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete