"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Monday, January 14, 2013

Blue Jasmine

Here is the completed Carolina Jasmine Hat.


This is definitely the most complex thing I've knitted so far, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I learned several new techniques, and I don't think I made any mistakes.

Since the above photo looks kind of like a big blue mushroom, here it is over my usual kitchen canister hat model, from the side and the top.



It stretches out even more on my head to better showcase the design. I'm not about to do any modeling right now, though. I just got off my 12-hour shift at work, and I look like I'm about to collapse, because I am; besides, I think people who take photos of themselves in the mirror to post on the internet usually just look silly.

The yarn is by Wolf Creek Wools. It's called "Great Wall"; unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be currently listed on their website, although my local yarn store has plenty of it in stock. It's a blend of 60% merino wool and 40% bamboo in a worsted weight. Merino, of course, is a pretty soft, non-itchy wool to begin with, and the addition of the bamboo eliminates any itch at all plus giving it a slight sheen.

I wore this hat walking to work last night, and it was wonderful. This morning, when it was even colder, I wore both the hat and the earwarmer and stayed nice and toasty.

I've decided not to do the TIAS this year. I have too many other projects I want to get started on-- some gifts for several co-workers who either just had or are about to have babies (don't worry, these will include some tatting), and I'm also feeling ready to knit my first sweater. I'll still guess along with the TIAS, I just won't be making it myself this time.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Now that I've looked over the pattern, I'm very impressed with all the details you've learned, especially the 'leaning' decreases.

    I would have had to chart out the pattern before I started knitting it in order to keep track of the numbers of stitches for each round. I'm not it sure I would have known what row I was on if I got
    interrupted!

    I'm again impressed that you can handle the double-pointed needles! It took years before I was comfortable with those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I stopped, I made a note of where I was, and I never ever stopped in the middle of a row!

      Delete