"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Shamelessly Stealing Frivole's Idea

A couple of weeks ago, Frivole suggested the idea of a necklace made from Heidi Sunday's Pumpkin Vine Edging. I added a few beads and findings, enlarged the central pumpkin for a focal point, and voila!




Like Frivole, I ordered several of Lizbeth's autumnal colorways, both variegated and solid. Like her, I rejected the Bright Orange as being too loud. Everyone's been using the variegated Autumn Spice colorway to tat pumpkins lately. It does look pretty, but really? Pumpkins are solid orange. I decided to go with a light version and a dark version. The light one uses colors 696 Autumn Orange Medium and 138 Leafy Green, with gunmetal-toned chain and findings. The dark one uses 694 Harvest Orange Medium with 167 Jungle Greens, and antique brass-toned chain and findings. Also like Frivole, I opted to make the rings in green as leaves on the vine; in the original pattern they are orange to represent smaller pumpkins, but that was just too much orange for me.

While trying the necklaces on, I realized that this edging would look terrific around the neckline of a crew-neck t-shirt for fall. Too bad orange is not my color!

You know what's really yummy? Pumpkin oatmeal. Tear some dried apple rings up into small chunks and throw them in the pot about 5 minutes before the end of the oatmeal's cooking time, so they can reconstitute. Then when the oatmeal is done cooking, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of pumpkin puree, some cinnamon, and some maple syrup. (For heaven's sake, use real maple syrup!) I could eat this all day long!

Squijum, on the other hand, is far pickier. At first, he thought that his mouth-healing diet of all canned food was the best idea I've ever had. Now he turns up his nose if the can I open isn't the flavor he was hoping for!

9 comments:

  1. that does make a very nice necklace. I like your choice of colors and the findings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold out for the goodies Squijum!

    Cry a lot and make your eyes look really big. Gets them every time.

    Lamb and salmon bits to you,
    Gian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely necklaces, Miranda. Love the colours you used - though I do like that Autumn Spice - even if it is a stretch!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous necklaces. I think the bright orange is quite loud, but teamed with the greens, I feel the necklace would really make a statement. You'll never know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely necklace, Perhaps the falling leaves would give you less orange with a touch of yellow.
    Well done on making it into a necklace
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely necklaces! I prefer the lighter orange, but like you, orange is really not my color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your necklaces are fantastic!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Late joining in, I just found your post.

    I'm glad you got from concept to finished product! Mine remained an idea... maybe next year? I like the added pearls and larger focal pumpkin.

    But I have to disagree with you on one point though: pumpkins CAN be green and orange and if googled will bring you lots of pictures of such pumpkins! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I know, just like carrots also come in purple. But I was thinking of the "classic" pumpkin that first springs to most people's minds.

      Delete