"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Autumn Necklace

I'm generally not a fan of seasonal jewelry. It's usually much too cutesy for my taste. Moreover, I don't care that much for autumn colors-- on trees and flowers, yes, but on things to wear and decorate my house with, no.

But I decided that in tatting, seasonal jewelry can actually look elegant, and I don't have to wear it myself. The annual relief sale held by my parents' church is at the beginning of fall, so I bet that autumn leaf pendants would sell well there. So right now while I'm in the fall mood, I'm going to make a few fall necklaces and save them for next year's sale. Here's the first one.


The pattern is the hackberry leaf from Karey Solomon's book Tatting Turns Over a New Leaf. To my knowledge, I've never seen a hackberry tree in my life, so I have no idea whether they turn pretty colors or not. However, I think it's a generic enough leaf shape that it doesn't really matter. The thread is "Knitty Gritty" by Yarnplayer, in size 50, and I added a few seed beads. I just bought some satin ribbons in fall colors for these necklaces; I'm going to use a kind of amber colored one for this one.

I'm pretty excited about this autumn necklace series, and I hope to be able to do another one tonight. I don't know if I'll be able to, though, because Squijum is at the vet getting some dental work done today, so he'll need lots of extra attention and cuddles tonight.

6 comments:

  1. That is an amazing leaf!!! What a fantastic pendant!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaf looks remarkable! I've heard of hackberry trees before, mentioned by my mother's generation, but I don't know that I'd recognize one if it fell on me. The leaf shape of your pendant does look like the one shown on Wikipedia :-) Whether it looks like a hackberry leaf or not, I love the shape and look of your pendant. Now there's another book I need to put on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is REALLY pretty...
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely leaf, no idea what a hackberry tree looks like or if it bears fruit or what. But your leaf looks brilliant
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. According to the internet, the shape of the leaf is just like yours! Apparently this tree is quite large and does have berries eaten by birds and mammals.

    I'm sure your necklaces will sell! I always find it fun to wear my seasonal tatted jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cool tatted leaf! I've not tried tatting any, so this is something I would add to my to-tat list. Love it.

    ReplyDelete