"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Monday, August 20, 2012

New Find!

Out doing some shopping yesterday, I came across something exciting. I saw one of those sidewalk signs that point you to a store just off the main road, and followed it to a yarn store that I never would have known was there. It made me glad I walk everywhere, because I wouldn't have seen the sign from a car.

I didn't expect they would have anything for tatting, but there were a few balls of Finca pearl cotton. I bought one in teal and one in a sort of terracotta color. I also picked up a nice fine crochet hook (0.6 mm), because a tatter can never have too many of those.

But the best was their collection of used books that they loan out like library books. Here's what I found.


This is a classic, and I can't wait to get my teeth into it. Elgiva's other book was one of the first tatting books I ever bought, and I still re-read it periodically. I'm sure this one will be just as educational.

I've also had a new entry in the "Tat This!" challenge. Sirena Sea is a new tatter who is lucky enough to be learning from her grandmother, and this is her first doily. She did a beautiful job, and I look forward to following her tatting progress. Do go to her blog and look at her shuttle collection, too!

6 comments:

  1. I know you will enjoy this book, I brought it when it was published years ago
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky for you to find that shop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an old library copy of that book, and I love it! I hope you enjoy your copy as much as I enjoy mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miranda, thank you very much for visiting my blog, I love sharing pictures of my shuttle collection :)

    Looks like an awesome tatting book, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the same book at a local used bookstore a few years ago. It's definitely one of my favorite reference books for ideas. Enjoy your great find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the other one - I didn't realize there were two! What a find!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete