"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Remember This One?

Remember the Starburst doily I started? It got derailed a bit, but I've gotten back to it now. Here's round 4 finally completed.

To recap, the pattern is by Janet Carroll, from her book Elegant Tatting Patterns. The threads are Majestic size 80; the colors are 850 (the dark teal), 837 (the light teal), and 813 (the lavender).

I was thinking of entering it in the State Fair, but not anymore. Having gotten several weeks behind on it, I would now be under a lot of pressure to get it done in time. Tatting is supposed to be fun, not stressful, so I don't want that. Plus, there are several rings that have stubbornly refused to stay closed, and I don't know what to do about that. I will finish it, though. Next year I will definitely enter something in the fair, and I'll start way early.

6 comments:

  1. It's so pretty - you can always enter it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty!

    I keep looking at that pattern as I have the book. It looks like a good challenge!

    I wonder why your rings are not closing properly?
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Gina. I probably won't enter this one. It's coming out well enough to display in my home, but the Amazing Re-Opening Rings make me feel like it's not up to competition standards. I do like it a lot, though.

    Fox, yes it is a challenge with all the bare thread spaces. I suspect that may be part of the trouble with the rings, too, now that I think about it. I can't stand a thread space that is too long and floppy, so I tend to err on the side of making them shorter and tighter. The tension thus created may be pulling the rings open. But that's just a hypothesis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one of reason why I am now tatting doilies. The main reason is for a tea coaster exchange which I found several doily that I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I love the colors you've chosen. I know I have that book somewhere in my very messy sewing room. I guess I should stop tatting and start cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe it could be entered into next year's fair, it's a great piece.

    ReplyDelete