"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, May 7, 2010

A Fishy Picture

For the pond in the wedding card, I wanted to convey the idea of minnows swimming just below the surface. I came up with a rather clever idea for how to do this, if I do say so myself:

As usual, my clever idea didn't photograph well, and the scan was even worse, but what I've done is to put a piece of navy organza on top of the fish, with a sky blue paper in the background to represent the, um, sky. In reality, the fabric is darker and not so sparkly- that's just the flash- and the paper is just a bit lighter. In the finished version, the organza will of course be cut to a more natural shape, with grass and flowers and whatnot around the edges, and the raw edges of the fabric will be covered up. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the fabric I used is the Casa Sheer from Jo-Ann's.

Here are the fish up close:

For the rest of the world, an American dime is about 1.8cm in diameter. The thread is Sulky Blendables 30 weight in color 4028, Storm Clouds. In case you ever have a desire to make some itty bitty little fish, the pattern is R 24ds. C p 3ds; 1 lock stitch; 3ds; j to p; 3ds; 1 lock stitch; 3ds; j to p again.

This is fun!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea I think it will look really great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have a great idea going... can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete