"But, really, why does anyone create? You feel a... a restlessness inside, a need to make something new, something no one has ever seen before. You want to add to the beauty and the richness of the world with a gift, an offering that is uniquely yours. It's an act of selfishness and generosity, all rolled into one."

-- Bruce Coville,
The Last Hunt

Friday, March 12, 2010

Hello and Welcome!

So, this is my first post. Most of the people who are likely to read this blog probably already know me, at least in the virtual world, so I won't bother with a super long introduction at this point. This blog will be mostly about tatting, so here's what I've been doing lately:





I actually started these about a month ago, but I got sidetracked by the minor inconvenience of being hospitalized with blood clots in my lungs. Someday maybe I'll bore you with that story. Anyway, the story of these motifs is this. I e-mailed Tatskool to ask if she could do a pastel version of her awesome Rainbow Bright HDT. As followers of her blog will know, she did, and it's gorgeous. She very kindly sent me a couple of skeins, so I decided to make several identical motifs in both Rainbow Bright and Rainbow Light for comparison. I got halfway through the project and then got sick. I've been out of the hospital for a while, but I've just recently gotten to the point where I can sit down without falling asleep, so I finished these up tonight. As you can see, they are not blocked yet. The fact that I would even consider showing unblocked work proves that I am not fully recovered yet.

From top to bottom, they are: Button Cover, from the book Tatting for Pleasure by Rosemarie Peel; Small Motif by the amazing Jane Eborall; and motif number 42, from the book The Tatted Artistry of Teiko Fujito. They are all done in size 60, with Rainbow Bright on the left and Rainbow Light on the right. Aren't they pretty?

This blog will evolve over the next few days as I figure out ways to make it look better. For now, it's late, so I will leave you with a picture of My Lord and Master:


This is Miss Polyester Organza (I can't help it, I was working in a fabric store when she acquired me as her servant). She exercises total control over when I am or am not permitted to tat.

9 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging. Great motifs! I can't decide which colors I like best. Miss Polyester Organza looks like one who would rule the roost. Does she help you tat? My Schatzi has a thread fetish... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Missy. Oh, yes, she "helps" all right, but not as much as she did when she was younger. She can still determine whether or not I get to tat, either by "helping" or by sitting on a table and knocking things off until I pay proper attention to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Nice to see you here,

    Yes, they are pretty. Lovely motifs.

    I see we are both captives of the same ferocious feline oligarchy!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking blog and content! Your kitty is so cute. Thanks for introducing your furry owner. I am servant to 3 cats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging, it will enhance your life..promise.
    You motifs are brilliant, you did a great job in showing how the two colours look.
    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you started a blog. It's a fun way to showcase what you are working on. Very nice motifs and I like that you showed the comparison on the two shades of Tatskool's thread. Pretty Kitty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments, everybody! Yes, I do feel much better. The Master is sleeping right now, so I'll go tat while I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I found your blog! I"m going to read every post before I go to bed tonight!

    ReplyDelete